Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 604 crossovers - polypropylene vs PIO

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member rogerh113's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2016
    Posts
    126
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

    604 crossovers - polypropylene vs PIO

    Hello,

    Starting to look for parts for my crossover build, and have run into some interesting endorsements of Russian PIO caps. Has anyone specific experience with the PIO caps in a crossover? It would be great if you had an opportunity to compare with polypropylene (before or after the PIOs). I do realize that much of this is personal taste, but I would be interested in personal opinion (if it is based on first hand experience).

    regards -- Roger

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    604 crossovers - polypropylene vs PIO


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 604 crossovers - polypropylene vs PIO

    What model 604 do you have ?

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: 604 crossovers - polypropylene vs PIO

    Greets!

    Quite a bit since they were the reference standard until PCBs were outlawed. The only audio comparisons I've done were with whole XOs [and even then not completely identical otherwise] and in simple 1st order XOs of horns, 'full-range' [FR] single drivers. Also, these were physically large capacitors like motor runs, both with PCBs and the later mineral and a few synthetic oils.

    Other than the cheap caps Altec and others were forced to downgrade to and whatever popular caps the cone/dome 'monkey coffin' folks tout as 'best' or at least best 'bang/buck', I can't say for certain if I've ever auditioned good sounding PPs or not, only some claimed 'excellent' mylars.

    Even though some either dismiss it out of hand or at least downplay it, PIO isn't just a personal preference [mine], but technically superior and why the pioneers spec'd/modified them even though with their basically 'cost no object' budget for developing a high performance sound system for 'talkie' movies that allowed them to make whatever they wanted: http://diyaudioprojects.com/mirror/members.aol.com/sbench102/caps.html

    All that said, any perceived superiority I've heard is pretty much limited to 'FR' or at least 'wide-range' drivers and horn systems where the superior self damping of PIO can 'shine'. The majority of speakers, especially lower efficiency ones become so distorted even at fairly low power that it 'swamps' any subtle gains in performance made elsewhere in the signal chain.

    GM


    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member rogerh113's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2016
    Posts
    126
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

    Re: 604 crossovers - polypropylene vs PIO

    They are 604-8G. I have not even fired them up yet - waiting for some replacement diaphragms from GPA (and associated wire kits). Really looking forward to the project. I currently have 1 (supposedly working) Altec crossover (8G) so I can at least use that to make sure the drivers are functional once the diaphragms arrive. I am usually pretty methodical in selecting components - better to take a bit of time and do the research, rather than being disappointed after the fact....

    regards -- Roger

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member SD-50's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2005
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604 crossovers - polypropylene vs PIO

    I replaced all the caps in A7s with PIO main caps, bypass with Russian military surplus Teflon caps.. The Solen caps could not match the PIO/Teflon caps for transparency, delicacy, realism and musicality. Mega-buck audiophile caps may be superior performers but to find out will cost you.
    I have a pair of 604-8Ks, XOs will be getting the whole PIO/Teflon treatment once I get off my lazy butt.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member rogerh113's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2016
    Posts
    126
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

    Re: 604 crossovers - polypropylene vs PIO

    Thanks very much for the info and insight into the performance of the PIO in your systems. I am in the process of ordering PIO and teflon for my crossover. Still have to get the inductors and resistors, but this will be a big chunk finished..... Really looking forward to getting started on the crossovers.

    New diaphragms come in on Friday, and I finally will get to hear the 604s at home for the first time!!!!!

    regards -- Roger

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.